Creating this iconic party favourite is easier than you'd expect! Decorate your crunchy toffee apples with crushed nuts or chocolate sprinkles and prepare to delight kids and adults alike
- 8 ice block sticks
- 8 small Granny Smith or red apples
- 4 cupscaster sugar
- 1 1/2 tspwater
- 1/2 tspred food colouring
- crushed nuts or chocolate sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Insert a stick through stem of each apple. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat on low, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to the boil and cook, without stirring, for 7-8 minutes until beginning to turn golden (see tip). Brush down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any leftover sugar crystals, which can cause toffee to crystallise.
- Swirl in but don’t stir food colouring, then quickly dip each apple into hot red toffee, turning to coat. Allow excess to drip off.
- Roll base of each coated apple into crushed nuts or chocolate sprinkles.
- Arrange apples on tray with sticks pointing up. Set aside at room temperature until set.
Courtesy of : http://www.foodtolove.co.nz/recipes/tempting-toffee-apples-34884